Snorting Smarties is for dumbies.
In the latest epidemic to hit America, students around the country are snorting candy. Now, they are starting to pay for it.
Three New Mexico middle school kids have been accused of snorting Smarties on campus. The Clovis Municipal School District has decided to suspend the boys for 10 days. The reason behind the harsh suspension is that the district classifies Smarties as drugs, and explains that students can be suspended, possibly expelled, by possessing them.
When did Smarties become classified as a drug?
Kelly Cook, the mother of Andrew Stonelake, a 13-year-old boy who was suspended for snorting Smarties, is outraged by what is happening.
“I was in shock. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing and I didn’t know anyone cold do anything like that with a Smartie,” said Kelly Cook.
Andrew’s hearing for his suspension is scheduled for November 19, and the district will listen to Andrew’s side of the story and then decide if he should be punished further. Andrew claims that he didn’t snort or inhale the candy, him and his friends were just crushing it and then blowing the dust at each other.
School officials advised Kelly Cook, and the other parents, that they have the right to legal counsel.
“I have no words to say about that,” said Cook. “I am in so much shock that they would go to this extreme.”
When KRQE News 13 asked the district on Thursday what policy they’re using in this case, and if there is anywhere that specifically says students can’t have Smarties in school. The district refused to comment, and directed the news team towards their student handbook, which had no mention of Smarties in it at all.
“There was no warning of any kind that they weren’t allowed to have these things,” said Cook.
As you can imagine, she’s pissed off.